It’s time to cross that barrier of Too Much Information and enter into the world of Brazilian Bikini Waxing. I’ve wanted to share this with you all for awhile now, and after a recent trip to Waxing the City for a pre-vacation shine, I figured now would be a good time. (rhyme unintentional)
For those of you who don’t know, a Brazilian Bikini Wax is when some lucky gal gets to smear hot wax in your private lady-bits and rip out all of the hair. And by all, I mean ALL. Yep, front to back (alllll the way back), side to side, in and out. Why in the hell would you do such a thing, you may be wondering? Well, it’s a personal choice and not for everyone. And for all you pervs that read our blog, I wouldn’t be writing this if I, myself, were not a fan. Let’s get down to the facts. Brazilian Bikini Waxing 101:
- It hurts. There’s no escaping that. In fact, it hurts A LOT! I’m told that each pore can produce 3 hair follicles, so the first time you go may be more painful than the rest. As you continue to maintain your hairless mound (a term I learned from a “pubic hair artist” offering his free services on craigslist, I passed) apparently the hairs don’t grow back at the same rate. So you’ll be ripping out less hair each time. But fuck that, I think it hurts the same each time. One little trick my cerologist does is to apply a little pressure right after the rrrrip for 1 or 2 seconds.
- Most women fear that the inner labia, the really thin skin, will hurt the most. That’s actually not true. It’s the outer labia and the pelvic bone that seem to be the most sensitive. Once you get past that, you’re gold.
- Yes, you’re in some awkward positions. Lay on your back fold your legs up almost Indian style and spread em! They gotta get in there somehow, so get over it.
- Why not just shave? Well, do you really like razor burn? Do you really like putting a sharp blade in your vagina? Do you really like having to shave every day to keep it smooth? And does your man really like that day after stubble? How about that awesome day after out-grow itch!? The great thing about waxing is it lasts a loooooong time. They recommend you come in every 6 weeks, but I usually hold out for 8. Also, there is no razor burn and it stays smooth the whole time. No itch, no bumps. (Obviously there are some freak-o cases out there and horror stories, but I’ve never experienced anything bad)
- Triangle, landing strip or all bare –It’s up to you. Some women fear that no hair will make them look like a little girl. Do what you like and what you are comfortable with.
- It’s expensive. Waxing the City (Cherri) charges $58 with a no tipping policy. I’m sure there are places that offer the service for less, but trying out new waxers isn’t really like trying out new hairstylists. It’s like your Gyno; find someone you’re comfortable with and stick with them. How many people really need to be rooting around in there?
- Speaking of finding someone, I’ve been in a committed relationship with Cherri at the Lodo Waxing the City for 5 years now. What I like about Cherri is that it’s not at all awkward. Sure, she sees more of me than I’ve even seen of myself, but that’s old news to her. We chit chat about the latest and greatest life updates, who I’m getting this wax done for, how doing a brazilizan wax on a man doesn’t even phase her anymore and before I know it, we’re done! She’s great at what she does and a fun person to catch-up with. I couldn’t recommend her enough!
Moral of the story is, if you’re curious about having absolutely NO pubic hair, give it a shot. Book an appt with Cherri at Waxing the City. It will hurt, your first time will be awkward and it will cost you money. But in my opinion, it’s worth it.
Tell us: Ladies, what’s your opinion? Men – we want to hear yours too! To wax or not to wax!